Norman J. Dotson Jr./ BNC Digital Producer
Ten Historically Black Colleges and Universities have been awarded $50 thousand in grants from Home Depot’s “Retool your School” program.
Since 2009, the Retool Your School Program has provided over 2.6 million dollars in campus improvement grants that allow HBCUs to make sustainable improvements to their campuses. This year in celebration of the program’s 10th anniversary there were ten schools selected for the award broken down in clusters of three by total number of votes with the tenth school being chosen based on the creativity in their campaign.
Over a span of 11 years roughly 87 percent of HBCUs participated in the program with 107 grants awarded.
In order to participate all HBCUs accredited by the United States Department of Education must have an authorized school official enroll their HBCU via the opt-in email. Supporters can vote for their favorite HBCUs through Twitter and Instagram using the school’s designated hashtag or at retoolyourschool.com.
Voting is unlimited.
Each participating institution must submit a detailed written description (150 words or less) of a proposed project for your campus (the “Project”).
- Project description should provide an explanation of how and why the Project will transform and benefit your HBCU campus using resources available through Home Depot. For example, the Proposal could be: replacing kitchen appliances, light fixtures or windows; refurbishing bathrooms, including plumbing and electrical work; painting exterior walls; replacing roof or HVAC systems; or professional grading of fields. The foregoing list is not exhaustive; Projects must be sustainable and/or provide long-term benefit to the campus.
- Project description should provide a budget for the project, which includes, but is not limited to: 1. Materials available through Home Depot 2. Grants must be used for campus improvements that are positive, sustainable and/or provide long-term benefit. Proposed improvements remitted should fall within one (1) of the following categories to be eligible:
- ECO Friendly
- Facility Upgrade
- General Construction
- Projects must be completed with a budget of no more than $50,000.
- A timeline for the project, including proposed start date and length of time to complete the project.
- A sustainability plan that details how the Respondent will maintain the Project year over year.