Minneapolis reaches $27M settlement with family of George Floyd

By: Alyssa Wilson

The city of Minneapolis has reached a $27 million settlement with the family of George Floyd. 

This comes just weeks before former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s trial begins on March 29. Chauvin is facing murder charges over Floyd’s death last year. 

The jury selection for that trial began on Monday and six jurors have been seated. 

RELATED: Derek Chauvin trial live updates: Third-degree murder charge reinstated

In July, Floyd’s family filed a federal lawsuit against the city, Derek Chauvin and the other three police officers involved in Floyd’s death. 

According to NBC, the lawsuit sought compensation and special damages and took issue with neck restrains and police training. 

The City Council heard the matter on its agenda on Friday in a closed session. 

On Friday afternoon, attorney Ben Crump and the Floyd family held a press conference. 

“History will judge us for how we responded to this tragedy,” said Crump when speaking about Floyd’s death.

He called on people to be peaceful as the community continues to strive for justice.

Crump called the settlement “historic” because of the amount which is the largest in Minneapolis history.

Latest in Breaking News

Breaking News

Ahmaud Arbery Trial: Defense Attorneys Report Plan To Appeal

Breaking News

Two People Confirmed Dead After Plane Crash Near Santana High School

Breaking News

Body of Missing Miya Marcano Believed to Be Found, Police Says

Michigan, Oxford High School

Breaking News

Former Student in Custody After Shooting at YES Prep Southwest Secondary

Breaking News

Body of Illinois State Graduate Student Jelani Day Identified by Officials

Breaking News

12 People Shot, 2 Killed at Kroger Supermarket Near Memphis

Melvin Van Peebles

Breaking News

Melvin Van Peebles Dead at Age 89

Breaking News

Georgia Has One of the Highest Voter Registrations in America