Police Investigating Death of Former NFL Player Taken Into Custody

In Summary

Former New Orleans Saints player Glenn Foster Jr. was arrested after getting into a high-speed chase with Alabama State Police.  

Alabama state authorities are investigating the events which led to the death of former New Orleans Saints player Glenn Foster Jr. two days after his arrest.  

According to a statement from the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, Foster, 31, died Monday at a medical facility near Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  

Foster was apprehended Saturday after officers clocked him driving upwards of 90 mph in a 45-mph zone, Chief Richard Black of the Reform Police Department to The Times-Picayune.  

Foster tried to elude the police, which led to a high-speed chase. Police had to use a spike strip to Foster down. The police were able to arrest him after the tactical maneuver.  

Glenn Foster Sr. told The Washington Post his son was driving to Atlanta for a business trip.  

According to the Pickens County Jail records, Foster was taken into custody on three counts of reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and an attempt to elude.  

Foster Sr. told The Washington Post his son has a mental illness. He explained that his son experienced a manic episode in college and had another one recently.  

The police chief got in touch with Foster Jr.’s family because the former player displayed erratic behavior during his arrest. Bail was in the process of sending Foster Jr. to a local hospital for evaluation.  

Related: Richard Sherman Apologizes After Domestic Violence Incident, Vows to Seek Help 

However, when the family arrived, police informed them Foster Jr. got involved in an “altercation” with another inmate and was placed under the jurisdiction of the sheriff’s office.  

Jail records show he was released at 3:14 p.m. on Sunday and then re-booked two minutes later on three counts of simple assault and one count of third-degree robbery.  

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Foster Jr. could not receive a visitation from his family.  

The sheriff’s office was responsible for transporting Foster Jr. to a medical facility, who told the family there was no struggle during the transport.  

However, when Foster Jr. arrived at the medical facility, he was unresponsive and could not be revived.  

“He arrived to his death,” the father said. “I don’t know what happened with him physically while he was in the jail because they wouldn’t let us see him.”  

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency has not provided any additional information on the death of Foster Jr.  

“I can’t get my son back, but we want whoever is responsible to pay for this,” said the mother of Foster Jr., Sabrina.  

RelatedEx-NFL Player Zac Stacy Arrested for Brutal Attack on Ex-Gf in Video 

If you or someone you know is struggling from trauma triggered by this story, resources are available here.   

Latest in Sports


Termarr Johnson: ‘I Want To Be Remembered as One of the Best Baseball Players’


Baseball Hall of Fame: David Ortiz In; Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens Out


Dak Prescott Fined $25K for Comments About Fans Throwing Trash at Refs


Fans Shout N-Word, ‘Get Out of China’ to Black US Basketball Player


Lusia Harris, Only Woman Drafted by NBA Team, Dies at 66


House Approves Bill To Award Willie O’Ree Congressional Gold Medal


Antonio Brown: ‘There’s Nothing Wrong With My Mental Health’


UConn Has 10 Days To Pay Ex-Head Coach Kevin Ollie $11 Million